Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead

It takes a little while for you to understand the different type of vampires so I may sound like I'm speaking a foreign language but bear with me. The vampires I'm talking about aren't immortal. A Damphir is like a bodyguard for the Moroi. The Moroi have powers but they don't fight. They really should like they used to because Strigoi are killing them off. When a vampire turns Strigoi which is when they are bitten by a Strigoi. They are immortal and pure evil because they crave the blood of the Moroi and Damphir. They cannot stop themselves. They turn cruel.

Now I always thought reading this that there were other books before and it does refer to things happened like two years before. But actually there's just a spinoff of the book and the series is called Bloodlines. Rose Hathway, the Damphir bodyguard for her friend a Moroi Princess Lissa, is a party girl. She is a take action type of girl. She's the narrator too and instigates the running away from the Academy. You don't know why they ran away but it becomes slowly as you read the book. She is fiercely protective of Lissa because they have a bond like no other... She also has a romantic interest with a Guardian. There the strongest people and they get assigned to a Moroi. Rose isn't assigned yet because she is still in training. The Guardian is named Dimitri and you know already they are going to like each other.

Lissa is a quite type. She has some issues. She gets a little crazy at the end which is nice because she's all fragile in the beginning relying on Rose. She also has a romantic interest. Two loves in one book. Jackpot! The guy's a loner and I love loners but he does have a dark past so you might want to be cautious when reading about him...

There's a lot of gossip and hierarchy in the Academy because there are royals. A girl named Mia who isn't a royal is always in a fight with them. She is with Lissa's ex and seems to have a grudge against her. She goes out of her way to make her and Rose feel bad. Rose can't do anything about it because then she will never be assigned to Lissa if she makes any more trouble. And then there are the dead animals everywhere Lissa goes. A lot of things going on here. I didn't really care if I read this book before because it was about vampires and I've only read one other series about vampires and that was Twilight. Yes, I know... But it ended up being really great. The mystery and the romance and definitely Rose. Rose made this book so great. I love her. I can't wait to see what happens next in the series. The library has it on hold for me already. I like it THAT much. Some possibilities are swirling around my head.... Finally a vampire series that is really really good!

"I saw the dress."
"Did you like it?"
He didn't answer. I took that as a yes.
"Am I going to endanger my reputation if I wear it to the dance?"
When he spoke, I could barely hear him. 
"You'll endanger the school."
I smiled and fell asleep.

Comments

  1. I have heard such great things about this book, but haven't picked it up yet. I enjoyed review and will hopefully get to read this one soon!
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

back to top