It's Monday! What Are You Reading? #14

The meme is hosted by Book Journey

So I didn't get a lot done last week on account of a midterm and essay I had to worry about plus an all day event out of my brother's birthday. But this week since it's Spring Break I decided to create a little event for myself to get my blog updated, read a bunch of books, and get so many reviews ready in advance that I'll have posts when school gets a little crazy. I'm calling it the Spring Break Extravaganza! Will I read 5? 10? 15? 20!? books? We will see. I'll tell you how everything goes next week. Hope you all were able to read and discover some great books last week!

Past Week Reviews


I reviewed The Liar Society last week. I love Kate and her loyalty to her friend. I'm hoping I can review the next book in this trilogy soon. So many messed up things happen it's ridiculous.

Currently Reading


"The year is 1867, and Richmond, Virginia, lies in ruins. By day fourteen-year-old Shadrach apprentices with a tailor and sneaks off for reading lessons from Rachel, a freed slave who runs a school for black children. By night he follows his older brother to the meetings of a brotherhood, newly formed to support Confederate widows and grieving families like his. As the true murderous mission of the brotherhood—now known as the Ku Klux Klan—emerges, Shad is trapped between his pledge to them and what he knows is right. In this unflinching view of the bitter animosity that stemmed from economic and social upheaval in the South during the period of Reconstruction, it’s clear that the Civil War has ended, but the conflict isn’t over." - Goodreads Summary

You may have noticed that I used this book for a book discovery two weeks ago. I actually won it and got it over the weekend. I am so excited to start reading it that I thought I would read it right away. This won't be the only book I'm reading today though but I want to showcase the others next Monday. 

Look What I Got!



Book Discoveries

Homesick by Kate Klise
Homesick"Benny’s parents are splitting up. His mom leaves home after a fight about a mysterious splinter that is rumored to be part of an important relic. Benny’s dad has always liked clutter, but now, he begins hoarding everything from pizza boxes to old motorcycle parts.

As his house grows more cluttered and his father grows more distant, Benny tries to sort out whether he can change anything at all. Meanwhile, a local teacher enters their quiet Missouri town in America’s Most Charming Small Town contest, and the pressure is on to clean up the area, especially Benny’s ramshackle of a house, before the out-of-town guests arrive."





Pity Isn't an Option by Jessica Brooks
Pity Isn't an Option"Seventeen year-old Jonas Norton is trying to come to terms with what his blood disorder has robbed from him, including his two most favorite things: basketball, and competing in Hatchet Racket, Wanless’ annual hatchet-throwing contest. The facts that his father works constantly to pay for his blood tests and Jonas can actually see the disappointment in his eyes for being such a failure only make matters worse. And even worse than all of that? Jonas' own twin brother, Micah, is perfectly healthy and becoming quite the basketball player. Also, Hattie, the girl Jonas has loved for forever? She has no idea how he feels.

Sixteen year-old Hattie Akerman lives down the hill from Jonas. Though her father, Heath, tries to hide his lack of mental clarity behind the bottle and she's pretty much given up on having any kind of relationship with him, she would still rather her younger sister, Lucy, not have to deal with the consequences of his behavior. Hattie helps her mother by baking food to sell at Market and looking out for Lucy. No matter what the rest of the town says about her crazy father, Jonas sticks up for them. He is, by far, her very best friend.

As if things aren’t complicated enough already, Heath and Micah are unexpectedly drafted into President Kendrick's army (an army from which no one ever returns) just days before Thanksgiving. When Heath disappears instead of arriving at the Meeting Place to check in, Hattie and Jonas decide they’ve had enough, and take matters into their own hands. And though nothing could have prepared them for what happens next, Hattie and Jonas learn that hope can be seen in every situation. You just have to know where to look."


What are you reading this week?

Comments

  1. You have some fun books this week. Brotherhood looks interesting. I'm reading Fractured Light right now. I also have some early chapter books planned for the rest of the week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fractured Light? I don't know that one but I'm sure you will share with your review. Have fun with the chapter books!

      Delete
  2. It sounds like you have been super busy! Glad you have a break now.:)

    I hope Brotherhood is good! I am curious to know more about the Kate Klise book. I have read a lot of her books and this one sounds different!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't even realize Kate Klise wrote Dying to Meet You and Grounded. There's a lot of things by her that are on my to read list. Now I know (:

      Delete
  3. Enjoy your Spring Break! I'm on break this week too =D Hope you get more reading done than me (I've only read one book so far!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read only one book so far too! I'm planning on reading at least two today and two tomorrow if I can. Maybe three tomorrow actually. Have a great break too!

      Delete
  4. Ooh! Brotherhood looks really good-- suffice to say, I'm totally jealous, LOL! I'm glad that your midterms went okay. ;) Homesick's cover is so adorable-- it looks like a really cute MG, and IceyBooks designed the cover for Pity isn't an Option!! (:

    Loves,
    Megan@The Book Babe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that IceyBooks designed the cover for Pity Isn't An Option. Where do you think I discovered it? I discover most of my books there lately (;

      Delete
    2. IceyBooks is awesome, isn't it? I love their blog, and I'm totally jealous of Hafsah's design skills! BTW, I want you to know that your little person is one of the cutest things I've ever seen, LOL! (:

      Delete
    3. It really is. Aw thanks! I love your goddess :D

      Delete

Post a Comment

back to top