My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick

Standalone
Publisher: Dial (Penguin)
Published: June 14th, 2012
Format: e-book
Pages: 330
Source: Own

Summary:

"One thing my  mother never knew, and would disapprove of most of all, was that I watched the Garretts. All the time.”

The Garretts are everything the Reeds are not. Loud, numerous, messy, affectionate. And every day from her balcony perch, seventeen-year-old Samantha Reed wishes she was one of them . . . until one summer evening, Jase Garrett climbs her terrace and changes everything. As the two fall fiercely in love, Jase's family makes Samantha one of their own. Then in an instant, the bottom drops out of her world and she is suddenly faced with an impossible decision. Which perfect family will save her? Or is it time she saved herself?


A dreamy summer read, full of characters who stay with you long after the story is over. 

Review:

Samantha has been watching the Garrett family ever since they first moved next door ten years ago. She's never told anyone this little secret of hers. Her mother who looks next door and only sees the irresponsibility in having so many kids is the last person she wants finding out. She's also never told her sister or even her best friend nor does she plan to. The Garrett's dynamic and way of life is something just so far away from what she's used to. They are so mysterious that she can't help to just admire them from afar. Until that is a member of the Garrett family finds her watching them and brings her into the life she's always wanted to have.


The basis of this book just makes me so utterly happy. It's one of those books that you can't help but get giddy over. Then when you finally get it into your hands and you are able to finally see what it's all about you get that excited feeling all over again. What really got me wanting to read this book and what ended up being my favorite part of the book wasn't the romance - it was Samantha's daydreaming about the Garrett family. When she described the way they were and who they were individually I envied them. I love that "Cheaper by the Dozen" type of family. It's big, you may have struggles, but it's such a great atmosphere and a great life. You always have something going on. It's carefree and I loved it. I loved it even more when I actually met the family especially Jace's little brother George.


"Is Jase already going to marry you?" I start coughing again.   
"Uh, No. No, George. I'm only seventeen." As if that's the only reason we're not engaged.  
"I'm this many." George holds up four, slightly grubby fingers. "But Jase is seventeen and a half. You could. Then you could live here with him. And have a big family."  
Jase strides back into the room, of course, midway through this proposition. "George beat it. Discovery Channel is on."  
George backs out of the room but not before saying, "His bed's really comfortable. And he never pees in it."

I love George... I can just squeeze him! Another person I really loved in Jace's family was his mother. She's got this wise, sweet thing going on. She reminds me of women who were born to be mother's. I've met some people in my life that I can't help but think to myself that they are going to be great mothers. I know that really sounds strange but it's true. Sometimes you just got it and sometimes like Samantha's mom you just plain don't. Her mother... I don't think she ever really saw her kids as her kids. They were more like things that she can use to get ahead. Things to make her look good. She was just bitter really. Well, to a point. She was more... just distant towards Samantha is how I can basically sum her up. She annoyed me to no end especially the way she acted with her "younger man" like she had no sense. Like she was her daughter's age and like she had no morals. 


My Life Next Door German Edition

Samantha and Jase. Not what I expected I have to say. And that isn't necessarily a bad thing. Their romance was very "high school" but in an endearing way. Samantha commented a couple of times on how dreamy Jase was so that's where I get that from. For most of the book I was happy for them and looked forward to seeing their relationship progress. It was a nice little romance. I really didn't like it as much as I'm sure I should have but I was still interested to see what would happen to the couple. And then... it just messed itself up. Samantha started acting... weird. The book had the obvious love conflict added in there but it wasn't described in a way where I felt sorry for them. Samantha was acting like her mother. Like she had no sense... I just didn't feel connected to their relationship in the end. I didn't believe it. Jase didn't act like I expected him to. I was confused to what happened to this lovey couple... It took a turn for the worse and it didn't recover that much for me unfortunately. BUT it's worth reading. The Garrett's are worth it. I did love most of the book just not the last part of it... that sounds bad but trust me it's worth trying. Just based on that cover - it's worth it. 


Overall:

Loved the family aspect of this book. The Garrett family was filled with great personalities and a collective warm quality to them. I wish I was able to read more about them. I wasn't able to connect as much with the romance in the story especially towards the end. I came in more wanting to read about the different families and the clash of those families so that's why I might have not enjoyed the romance that much throughout the book and not liked it all at the end. Romance wasn't as great as I hoped towards the end but the book is still worth a try especially since everyone else raves about it so much.

For more info about Huntley Fitzpatrick and her books go to:



Huntley Fitzpatrick's second book is coming out in 2014! See what it's about below:


What I Thought Was True


"Gwen Castle's  Biggest Mistake Ever, Cassidy Somers is slumming it as a yard boy on her Nantucket-esque island this summer. He's a rich kid from across the bridge in Stony bay, and she hails from a family of fishermen and housecleaners who keep the island's summer people happy. Gwen worries a life of cleaning houses will be her fate too, but just when it looks like she'll never escape her past - or the island - Gwen's dad gives her some shocking advice. Sparks fly and secret histories unspool as Gwen spends a gorgeous, restless summer struggling to resolve what she thought was true - about the place she lives, the people she loves, and even herself - with what really is." -Author's Website
Another Summer themed book interesting... What do you all think?





This post was originally a guest post @ Ramblings Of A Diva Booknerd. Check it out!

Thanks for Having Me! 


Comments

  1. This sounds so utterly adorable. I know what you mean about loving the big, carefree family theme. I've always enjoyed that too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That part of the book was wonderful. Love when families big or small care so much about each other (:

      Delete
  2. Thank you for being a guest reviewer.

    I tried to chain her to my blog and keep her, but she got away :(
    Awesome review :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely understand what you mean about Jase's mother. It doesn't sound strange at all. :) I loved the Garretts! George was so incredibly adorable. I think he may have even been my favourite character here. Wonderful review, Adriana. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw yay! I'm happy that you actually know what I mean when I say Jase's mother was born to be a mother in a way. I think George was everybody's favorite character (:

      Delete
  4. Awesome that the book is filled with great personalities. :) I enjoyed your review!
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was disappointed in the romance of this book as well. The Garret family was definitely the best part! Little George was stinkin adorable! I really liked the author's writing and I think she did a great job developing the characters and emotions of the story, I just didn't love the story I guess.

    I hadn't heard anything about her next book, sounds interesting! Thanks for sharing =)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

back to top