Made of Stars by Kelley York

Standalone. Entangled Teen (Oct. 2013) NetGalley
When eighteen-year-old Hunter Jackson and his half sister, Ashlin, return to their dad’s for the first winter in years, they expect everything to be just like the warmer months they’d spent there as kids. And it is—at first. But Chance, the charismatic and adventurous boy who made their summers epic, is harboring deep secrets. Secrets that are quickly spiraling into something else entirely.

The reason they’ve never met Chance’s parents or seen his home is becoming clearer. And what the siblings used to think of as Chance's quirks—the outrageous stories, his clinginess, his dangerous impulsiveness—are now warning signs that something is seriously off.

Then someone turns up with a bullet to the head, and all eyes shift to Chance's family. Hunter and Ashlin know Chance is innocent...they just have to prove it. But how can they protect the boy they both love when they can’t trust a word Chance says?


My initial thoughts before I read Made of Stars was that it was going to be a mystery and three friends would be in the cross hairs of a murder or something. I read the summary a long time ago so I based my opinions on the look and feel of Made of Star's cover. My final thoughts on Made of Stars has me being pissed at the author while simultaneously thanking the universe for putting this book in my life because folks Made of Stars is officially my favorite book so far this year.

"Sometimes," he says, "people get desperate, and no is listening."

I was giggling in the beginning when I put two and two together with Chance, Hunter, and Ashlin. Ashlin likes Chance. Hunter likes Chance. Hunter won't admit that he likes Chance. I couldn't tell if he was confused about it, but more than likely he didn't want to be different. So as soon as I found out that Hunter was crushing on Chance it was Hunter and Chance with me all the way. I can just gush about their adorableness all day. Hunter, the strong, protective, not-the-best-with-words guy and Chance, the goofy, childish, and mysterious guy. The prospect of them together... You don't know how happy that made me.

Poor Ashlin can't read the signs right away. We get to read from her point of view as well as Hunter's. Ashlin, Hunter, and Chance have known each other for years. They spent their summers together until Hunter and Ashlin's father got shot and their mother's decided that they needed to stay home. Hunter and Ashlin have a sibling bond that is envy worthy. They always called, texted, and emailed each other every day. They were so close to each other that maybe they were too close to notice they both like the same guy. Chance is a distant sort of character. You can't tell what is the truth and what are the lies that come from him. He's obviously keeping something from his friends but doesn't say anything. You think I would be frustrated with a character who didn't seek help when he needed it, but York explained it so well through Chance's voice why he didn't seek help. The thing about Chance is yes, he's childish, but there is an innocence about him. He has trust issues and cares deeply for his friends. He's a strange character, but one of my favorites in Made of Stars other than Hunter of course.

"She's not that different, you know. She's smart, but you're smart." I tap his forehead with one finger. "You know a freakish amount about the most random subjects. She's pretty. you're handsome.
"I don't have my life together."
"Sure you do. I mean, you're getting there. You've got a job and a family -- us -- who love you." I clarify, because whatever is going on with the family he avoids talking about, he has Hunter and Dad and me. We'll be his family. We always have been.
"So," I continue, "all that said, name one thing rachel has that you don't"
... "She has Hunter."

Yes, yes, yes! A thousand times yes to Hunter and his feelings for Chance. I loved his denial because I knew how he really felt. He just didn't feel he could express it. I just loved reading from Hunter's point of view. He's the perfect character with his strengths and weaknesses. He's so caring and protective. He's adorable when he is around Chance. I just got a big grin on my face whenever they were together or whenever there was a sly question about the other (mostly in Chance's case). Ashlin on the other hand, wasn't as interesting, but it's not like she didn't contribute anything to the book. Her perspective of this trio's relationship gives very important insight. Chance also deeply cared for Ashlin which I loved although I wondered why he spent more time with her. I feel like he knew what he wanted and he went for it. And he didn't want Ashlin.

"I got the dragon because it reminded me of you. A reminder that the guy I loved would always come home to me, and he'd always have my back." He smiles a tired smile and rolls his gaze to the ceiling. To the stars. "How's that for ridiculously sentimental?"

There's a twist towards the end which you can see in the summary if you haven't already. I'm glad I didn't read the summary before because I felt so anxious trying to figure out what was happening. I would have felt anxious anyway on how the story would end. I just can't with that ending. I NEED a sequel. I doubt there will ever be one. I NEED IT anyway though. I'm really worried about reading more books by Kelley York because even though I absolutely loved Made of Stars, it's also made me so distraught. I feel like York will destroy me again with one of her other books yet I can't help, but see what else she has in store. I'm sure I'll regret it. I could never now regret Made of Stars though. It is my favorite book so far this year after all.

Comments

back to top