The One by Kiera Cass

The Selection #3. HarperTeen (May 2014) Library
The time has come for one winner to be crowned.

When she was chosen to compete in the Selection, America never dreamed she would find herself anywhere close to the crown—or to Prince Maxon's heart. But as the end of the competition approaches, and the threats outside the palace walls grow more vicious, America realizes just how much she stands to lose—and how hard she'll have to fight for the future she wants.




America has decided what she wants or to be more precise whom she wants - Prince Maxon. America was unsure if she wanted to be a princess and be with Maxon in The Elite. This time around she has grown more confident that she knows what she wants and she wants to be with Maxon. But after all the distance she and Maxon have been dealing with - will she lose him to someone else?

I remember mentioning in my review of The Selection that America isn't a girl who makes a bunch of problems for herself. I'm redacting that statement because boy does she make things difficult for herself. She makes these impulsive decisions that get her in trouble or feeling humiliated. I can't help love her for her impulsivity. She really became herself again when she figured she wanted to be with Maxon. She grew more in the whole series than I could have hoped for. Looking back there were so many mistakes made that made her journey all the more rewarding.

America, you are full of nothing but bad ideas. Great intentions but awful ideas.

There is a whole lot of drama that goes on with America and the other Selected. She feels like she's losing Maxon and the others are taking over. Meanwhile, rebellion in Illea has grown worse and there are different views in what should be done. I feel like everything has become clear with what the rebellion means and how crucial it is to quell it. The Selected and the kingdom are in more danger as the competition continues and Maxon must finally make a decision into what his future will hold.

Though I still occasionally questioned my desire to be the princess, there was no doubt in my mind that I wanted to be Maxon’s.

I'm satisfied with how everything came to a close. I'm thrilled that the Selection series is continuing with two more books. I can't wait to read The Heir. I've been avoiding it because I don't want The Heir to end if that makes any sense. I'm about to take the dive now because I can't wait anymore.

Have you read any good stories about princes or princesses?

Comments

  1. I am so glad you read and enjoyed this one too and that the series continues to be great. :) I think there is also a novella for the series, but I may be wrong. I can totally relate to not wanting to read something because you don't want a series to end. You want to read it, but you don't. It can be hard to say goodbye to characters, settings, and stories we love.

    I have read Philippa Gregory's historical fiction about kings, queens, princesses, etc. and I enjoyed the Henry VIII series she has. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are a couple actually. I need to read them! They have POV's for The Queen and the Prince. I don't know if they have it for anyone else. possibly America's second love interest.

      Delete
  2. So what happened to the childhood friend? The one who became the palace guard?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay, you loved the first part of the series. I am so happy! There are two Novellas, have you read them? One is called the Prince and one is called The Guard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I haven't. There is also one called The Queen. I must read them!

      Delete

Post a Comment

back to top