Evertaster by Adam Glendon Sidwell

Evertaster #1. Future House Publishing (June 2012) Own
When eleven-year-old Guster Johnsonville rejects his mother's casserole for the umpteenth time, she takes him into the city of New Orleans to find him something to eat. There, in a dark, abandoned corner of the city they meet a dying pastry maker. In his last breath he entrusts them with a secret: an ancient recipe that makes the most delicious taste the world will ever know a taste that will change the fate of humanity forever. Forced to flee by a cult of murderous chefs, the Johnsonvilles embark on a perilous journey to ancient ruins, faraway jungles and forgotten caves. Along the way they discover the truth: Guster is an Evertaster a kid so picky that nothing but the legendary taste itself will save him from starvation. With the sinister chefs hot on Guster's heels and the chefs' reign of terror spreading, Guster and his family must find the legendary taste before it's too late.

*Sigh* With a book promising epic tales of adventures across the world, secret societies, and it all being centered around food, well what's not to love right? Evertaster had so much to offer, but the easy acceptance of the situation, the unbelievability of it, and the glaring obvious age group it was for, Evertaster left me disheartened.

I just don't know why there are children's book and MG books out there that I can't enjoy. I love books that are in any type of age group. Why is it that some don't resonate with me? For Evertaster there were many parts that I didn't enjoy including the pace. Right away, the Johansonville family are launched into the world of the unknown and being chased by some chefs in red. It sounds exciting, but the way that it was written I couldn't enjoy this aspect of the book. The main reason why is that the family accepted this world so easily and just everything moved too fast into the plot line. Not fun.

Evertaster also felt too childish with the way the characters were portrayed. His mother was written pretty horribly especially. The only thing I did like that kept me turning the pages was that I wanted to know how everything was going to be resolved. Everything else in the book just fell flat for me. I can see Evertaster being enjoyed by children easily, although I wish it would transcend that age group and the I could have enjoyed it.  

Comments

back to top