My Faire Lady by Laura Wettersten

Standalone. Simon and Schuster (June 2015) Own
Rowena Duncan is a thoroughly modern girl with big plans for her summer—working at the mall with her best friends, taking trips to the Cape, date nights on the beach—until she catches her boyfriend making out with another girl. Heartbroken, she applies to an out-of-town job posting and finds herself somewhere she never expected: the Renaissance Faire.

As a face-painter doubling as a serving wench, Ro is thrown headfirst into a vibrant community of artists and performers. She feels like a fish out of water until Will, a quick-witted whip cracker, takes her under his wing. Then there’s Christian, a blue-eyed stunt jouster who makes Ro weak in the knees. Soon, it’s not just her gown that’s tripping her up.

Trading in the Internet and electricity for stars and campfires was supposed to make life simpler, but Ro is finding that love is the ultimate complication. Can she let the past make way for her future?


Rowena (like Rowena Ravenclaw) is moping around all day after her now ex-boyfriend was caught cheating on her. She can't face a whole summer working at the mall where everyone in her small town goes to. Not admitting that she's running away from her troubles, Ro convinces her college obsessed parents to let her work and stay at a renaissance fair. Ro gets a job as a face painter and serving wench. Her goal this summer is to get distracted by Christian the knight and working on her art even if her parents don't take it seriously. Then she makes all these friends that make her face the real problems in her life.

I picked up My Faire Lady, because it reminded me of a favorite read of mine - Past Perfect. It has that contemporary feel good story thing going on that I always fall in love with. I didn't completely fall for My Faire Lady, but it gave me the feel good feeling I was looking for.

First of all the setting is the best. I wish there was a renaissance fair near me. Second Will made this story above and beyond worth it. I always looked forward to Ro and Will's banter. Will was always a kind, sweet, and funny friend. His specialty a the fair is also pretty amazing and unexpected. Suze was another great friend for Ro. She has a warm spirit and was always there for Ro.

The atmosphere, friendships, and Ro herself made this story delightful to read. I do wish Ro wasn't so hung up on someone she hardly spoke to. The romance could have really been much better too. I thought there were unnecessary bits there. The story wrapped up a little too easily but I still wish there was a sequel. I really want to know what happens next! All in all My Faire Lady was a fun, lighthearted read with great characters and a setting that you just may want to visit.

Comments

back to top